Search This Blog

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Zucchini Sticks with Jalapeno Ranch Dip

We have a garden and I go crazy trying to figure out what to do with all of the zucchini we have!  So, this is a great, low fat appetizer!  

Well, they are low fat until you drench them in the the Jalapeno Ranch Dip

Ingredients:  1 large zucchini,  1 cup 2% milk,  bread crumbs (we like Italian on occasion),  bottle of ranch dressing,  2-3 fresh jalapenos, 1 lime,  fresh cilantro 

Instructions:  cut zucchini into sticks, soak in milk and place bread crumbs in a grocery sack and shake zucchini in crumbs until coated. Spray a cookie sheet and place in oven at 400 degrees until tender and golden brown.  I'm not going to say how long because it depends on how thick you cut them.

Now, for the dip.  They make this at my favorite Austin restaurant, Chuy's, and many have tried to copy it.  You will have ingredients for things such as mayo, sour cream, buttermilk, garlic ect...I have tried them all and here is my version.  I am going on the 'less is more' theory. 

For every cup of ranch dressing you use, use 1 jalapeno and blend in your blender until smooth.  I cut a little cilantro and place it in a small amount at a time because once you get too much---there is no going back!  Then I scrape it out with my spatula and add lime juice and salt to taste.  

For mild dip I de-seed all of the jalapenos
For a medium dip I de-seed half of the jalapenos
For a hot dip I DON'T de-seed any of the jalapenos 
For "I just killed all my taste buds" I add extra jalapenos

On occasion for a cup of the dip I have added a half of an avacado for a greener, and creamier dip.  I don't think it changes the taste much at all.

Sarcasm Note:  If you make this dip, you probably won't want to make it again.  Not so good, call me and I'll come pick it up.


No comments:

Post a Comment