Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Information on Xanthan & Guar Gums

So when I began this Gluten Free diet, to say I was overwhelmed is an understatement! I went to all of the wellness and health food stores in our city, and to the big chains that sold gluten free items.  I'm not going to lie, I cried.  Not because I couldn't have chocolate cake anymore, because Betty Crocker makes a GF one!  But simply because I was confused.  When my doctor called with my diagnosis I was excited; not because I have a disease but because there was something I could do to prevent sickness.  Slowly, through the internet, books and my own research I am discovering some things I'd like to share with you. For instance:  what is Xantham gum and why can't I chew it?  And Guar?  It sounds like some kind of South American lizard...

    Well, here is the scoop:

  •  In baked good, it increases dough yield, gives a greater resiliency, and improves texture and shelf life
  • In pastry filling, it prevents 'weeping' of the water in the filling, keeping your pastry crisp
  • In dairy products, it thickens milk, yogurt and cheese products
  • For meat, it functions as a binder
  • In condiments, it improves the stability 
  • It is also used in dry soups, instant oatmeal, desserts, and frozen food items.

 So basically, it is like a mommy:  It keeps everything together & looking good!

In your gluten free baking it will add texture, & reduce crumble factors.  But these gums have 8xs the thickening factors of ingredients you normally use, so if you use too much....these gums will produce a chewiness to your recipe!  But if your baking is a little too crumbly just note and add a little more gum to your recipe the next time you make it.   




So this is what it looks like in it's original form;
 and this is what it looks like after! 
  • Use 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan or guar per 1 cup gluten free flour blend in cakes, cookies, bars, muffins, and quick breads
  • Use 1 teaspoon xanthan or guar gum per 1 cup for yeast breads, pizza, and other yeast recipes. 
(The above information is from Beth Hellson the founder of Gluten Free Pantry and President of the American Celiac Disease Alliance)

No comments:

Post a Comment