Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Gluten Free Apple Crisp

Celiac Disease has killed my love for apple pie!  And until I learn to make a better gluten free pie crust....AND I WILL!  Warm apple crisp, served over Blue Bell Vanilla will just have to do.  (Poor me)

 This recipe is NOT difficult at all, I just have a lot of pictures for some reason? So, don't let my trigger happy finger discourage you at all.

Here is what you need:  I got 5 apples out, but they were so big I just used 3.  Go with whatever apple is your favorite.   And you need 3/4 cup coconut oil, 2 Tablespoons lemon juice, 2 Tablespoons maple syrup, 1 cup oats (I buy mine at the health food store to assure they are GF), 2 teaspoons tapioca starch or flour, and 3/4 cup brown rice flour, 1 cup brown sugar, 2 teaspoons cinnamon divided, 1 teaspoon sea salt, 1 teaspoon regular sugar.  Preheat your oven to 350 degrees...

Take a small dab of your coconut oil and spread to coat your baking dish on the bottom and along the sides to prevent sticking.

Peel, core and slice your apples.  I have this handy little gadget from William Sonoma that does it for me, and YES I am a cheater! 



Now place your apples in a bowl with your maple syrup and your lemon juice and toss to coat.  Then line your baking dish with the apples. You will have to put some on top of one another, and pour the left over syrup and juice over them.
In a separate bowl add your 1 cup oats, flours, brown sugar and 1t. cinnamon


Don't forget your sea salt!  I LOVE sea salt and have it on hand but if you don't have it...who cares!  Add regular salt; and let's be honest-it's the same!

Mix it up!


Add your 3/4 cup of coconut oil and you can TRY to cut it in with a pastry cutter, or knives, but I honestly just wash my hands and pinch it in my dry ingredients.  I hate all these kitchen gadgets - they are called FINGERS and they are FREE!

Cover your apples with the mixture and shake it down.  Some of your apples are going to come to the top and that is ok.  Put in the oven for 20 minutes....

At 20 minutes, pull them out, toss, and add your 1 Tablespoon of cinnamon and granulated sugar on top.  Mine is already mixed for toast for my kids...cook an additional 10 minutes after tossing.

When apple crisp is finished serve over Vanilla Blue Bell or just eat alone. Either way it is an amazing GF dessert and your house smells divine! 

No comments:

Post a Comment