Search This Blog

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Best gluten free go-to meal



        Eating gluten free is so overwhelming at times.  Especially the days your family requests one of their favorite meals which happens to be LOADED with gluten.  I often have people ask me, "how can you cook for them and NOT eat it?"  The answer is, "I poisoned it."  NOT REALLY.  If you have celiac disease, gluten makes you deathly ill and you do not want to eat it; but I love cooking and seeing my family eat what I cook.  So it's not difficult at all!  But on the occasion I do make them a meal which cannot be made with gluten free substitutes; I have a wonderful back up I really enjoy.  Here it is:  

This cornbread mix is so easy and good my family has no idea they are eating GF, but let me give you a tip:  when baking GF whether by box or scratch it is best to let your ingredients be as close to room temp as possible.  I put my eggs in a bowl of warm water for an hour or so, and my milk out at the same time. (it's not going to spoil) It will still be cool, but not COLD.  Also, lay out your butter at the same time or even before.  

Yes, I am a cheater.  I DO have a great GF recipe for creamy tomato soup which my family thinks is better than this; but when you do not want to cook TWO separate meals this is always a great go-to.

We do not have a Panera in our city, but I bought these at Sams and if you can't find it I will post my Creamy Tomato Soup next.  You will just want to freeze it in separate containers to use for yourself when you're cooking with gluten.  ENJOY!   

J.R.R. Tolkien said, "if more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world!"  He's right!  I am so thankful I have been diagnosed with Celiac Disease because without that diagnosis; food would continue to be misery for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment