Search This Blog

Monday, February 18, 2013

How I store my spices


You could probably care less about how I store my spices, but then again you are reading this!  First things first...I am OCD.  I tried putting my spices in alphabetical order but apparently not everyone in my home knows their ABC's. (Scratch that)  Then I tried putting the spices I used most on the lower shelves, but my oldest decided he enjoyed cooking and used weird spices.  (scratch that)  Now, he lives in Nashville, I am the only cook in the house once again and I have the perfect solution for ME.  I hope it helps you as well.

I ordered these little gems from organize.com (of course)  They are 4 oz. stainless steel spice cans.  You can order their magnetic version but they are a bit more expensive.  I know it sounds ridiculous, but I had so much fun organizing this!  
  1. The tops of the containers are clear so you can see the amount you have leftTherefore, if you're getting low you will know before it's too late. 
  2. They have a wonderful little ridge on them to write with a sharpie marker what spice is inside. (in case you stack like I did)
  3. They are stainless in case you want to place magnets on them yourself.
  4. They are easily stackable as you can see.
  5. They are CUTE. Period.  
   
That being said, here are a few tips on how long you should keep your spices.  But to be honest, just look and see if the colors are faded or their smells have lost a little kick!  
 

Red-colored spices, such as chili powder, cayenne pepper and paprika can be refrigerated to prevent loss of color and flavor if you don't use them regularly.  The best storage temperature for herbs and spices is one that is fairly constant and below/around 70º F. Temperature fluctuations can cause condensation if you live in a humid climate, and eventually mold, so if you store spices in the freezer or refrigerator, return them promptly after use.

The shelf life of each herb and spice is different, and all age, even under the best conditions. The shelf life of herbs and spices will vary according to the form and plant part, too. Those that have been cut or powdered have more surface area exposed to the air and so lose their flavor more rapidly than whole herbs and spices.

Here are some storage guidelines:

Whole Spices and Herbs, Leaves and flowers: 1 year


Seeds and barks: over 2 years


Roots: over 2 years


I adore spices...
  • Romans were paid in salt, they sent it back home to preserve the family's food. We get our word "salary" from the Latin word for salt... Sal
  • Europeans explored lands beyond just for spices
  • Wars were fought for spices and the ability to trade them
  • Egyptians were buried with spices 
Most importantly:  I don't care if sugar is not a spice; 
I want to be buried with it!    


Are you worth your salt?

No comments:

Post a Comment