Search This Blog

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Gluten Free Pollo Picante


My husband went to medical school in Galveston Texas at the University of Texas.  We had no money, honestly we had less than no money, we owed everyone!  I was working at 2 hospitals, 3 offices and cleaning a house totally 70 hours a week and still we could only afford one luxury per week.  So, without a doubt it was an all you can eat joint!  Every medical family on the island was at Yaga's on Tuesday nights...it was heaven.  The Strand in Galveston was a great place to be during the week away from the main landers on weekends.  (With the many hurricanes I hope Yaga's remains)
 Yaga's served, at the time, many different types of shrimp and one awesome dish of chicken and a few fish dishes.  The starving medical students went for the all you can eat shrimp, and I had Pollo Picante.  I must add, by the time the boys graduated, Yaga's cut out the all you can eat Tuesday Shrimp Night.  After all those nights, approximately 208, I became friends with the cook and he told me how to make his famous Pollo Picante!  Thank the Lord I got something out of four years of 70 hour weeks, no sleep, and being a test subject for every one of my husband's unmarried friends.  I've slept through many otoscopic, opthalmascopic and reflex exams. Those days are a blur...

But we are still eating pollo picante 'from' YAGAS!  And now you can too
Here is what you need: 
chicken breasts for as many as you are serving, 1/4 cup of hot sauce of your choice per breast, 1/2 cup of cooked rice per chicken breast, 1/2 cup cheese of your choice (I use pepperjack or cheddar), salt and pepper to taste. 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Salt and pepper your chicken, top with picante sauce of choice, and bake for 20-30 minutes until cooked throughout


I'm not going to lie...I take the chicken out of that white, cooked, jellied substance surrounding it from cooking and move it into a smaller pan at this point.  Then top with rice and your cheese and pop it back into the oven until the cheese is melted.
Such a great and EASY dish.  This particular meal I served only with a spinach salad; but in the summer I usually grill potatoes like they do at Yaga's.


No comments:

Post a Comment