Search This Blog

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Frittatas

So what is a Frittata?  It is an Italian omelet.  Some people will tell you it is the difference between folding in your ingredients with your eggs vs. laying them on top, some say the thickness, and some say it is how it's cooked or sliced.  Be real....it's an omelet.  Period.  Get over it. To prove my point, my very educated husband asked what we were having for supper and I told him, "Frittatas".  He was so excited! We ate, and he said, "that tasted and looked just like an omelet, but really good!"  (he's no dummy)


Now we have the truth let us begin to cook!

You will need about a dozen eggs, 2 cups of cheese, 1 medium tomato, fresh spinach and basil, green onions, golden Yukon potatoes, red pepper, salt and pepper.  By now, you must realize I want you to add the amount of each ingredient based on how many you are feeding and how much you like.  For Frittatas, you will not need much of any of these.  So if you have regular potatoes and don't want to use Yukon-DON'T! 

I KNOW the secret to a fantastic Frittata is the CHESSE.  Period.  I love garden jack and you can usually find it among your specialty cheeses.  Also great for this recipe is feta, but  choose your family's favorite. 


I was having a Bible study and wanted make something easy to eat so I put these in muffin tins. I cut up about 1/4 of my red pepper, 3 green onions, and THINLY sliced the yukon gold potatoes, added salt and pepper and with 2 tablespoons of butter, placed them in the microwave for about 2 minutes.

Shred your cheese, add to your bowl of microwave softened veggies, add your tomato, spinach, basil, eggs and beat well until combined.  (mushrooms are also great in your frittata)
I decided to add two eggs for each person, which turned out perfect with no BIG eaters
It is such a beautiful dish!  Even though I chose muffin tins which make about 16 with 10 eggs, you can also do a skillet until cooked on the bottom and then put in the oven on broil until the top is firm. 




I tried to use my olive oil in the spray bottle to coat my muffin tin, but it DID NOT WORK!  They stuck somewhat around the edges so just use your PAM or other spray.  




Bake at 350 degrees until your eggs are firm.  I served with gluten free toasted bread and fruit.  You cannot go better than healthy and gluten free!  ENJOY! ***NOTE no chickens were harmed in the making of these Frittatas




 

No comments:

Post a Comment