Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Corn Cakes with Avacado relish (Gluten Free)

There is nothing like a really tender steak, a well grilled pork tenderloin or roasted chicken.  But sometimes you want to blow your family away with something other than a bag of frozen vegetables or a can of green beans; this is that dish!  I put some chicken in the oven to bake, diced up some sweet potatoes and apples to slowly cook on the stovetop and put my efforts into this dish while it all came together.
 
I don't usually fry things but I found this and thought, "let's give it a try",  I did
 and what a hit it was! 
 
Here is what you will need:
 
  • 2 cups of corn cut off of the ears preferably (or canned & drained)
  • 1 can of creamed corn (minus about 4 Tablespoons-it's just a little too much)
  • 1 cup of Gluten Free all purpose flour (if you use regular flour you may need more)
  • 1 teaspoon of salt and pepper
  • 1 teaspoon of paprika
  • 1 teaspoon of baking powder
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups of cheddar
  • Vegetable oil to cover the bottom of your skillet for frying the corn cakes 
  • 2 avocados, seeded and diced 
  • 1/2 lemon juiced
  • 1/4 cup (or more to your taste) of red onion finely diced
  • 1/4 cup of your favorite picante sauce (I use my home made which you can find on the blog)
 

 Mix your flour, salt, pepper, and baking powder together in a small bowl.  Then mix the corns, eggs, cheese together.  Combine the two and then slowly add your milk.  You do not want this to be too thick or too runny.  These little cakes just need to stick together when you drop them by the Tablespoon into your heated oil. 
 
If they start to stick a little, just take a fork and loosen them up
While they are frying add the remaining ingredients to a bowl and either combine to top as chunky, or put them in a food processor to make as a sauce.  We like chunky :) 
 They barely made it onto the paper towels to drain before the boys got after them!
 
I had to make this quick before they were eaten!  But it is so easy it wasn't a problem...
 
 
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family did.  I don't have a picture of the chicken because my eyes and my stomach were on these lovely little veggies.  My boys do not get to have fried food as often as they would like so there were very few corn cakes left.
 
NOTE:  This recipe will make about 16-18 corn cakes.  THAT IS A LOT!  You can 1/2 it easily but you will have a half a can of creamed corn for later...

No comments:

Post a Comment