Search This Blog

Monday, February 10, 2014

Chicken, Bacon and Wild Rice Soup (Gluten free)

It is February in Texas, such a glorious time of year.  Bathing suits, sunglasses and sun screen....NOT!!!! (I am so over this weather people) I think Carl Reiner said it best when he said, “A lot of people like snow. I find it to be an unnecessary freezing of water.”  I know, it is not as cold as Minnesota, or Canada but I don't live there!  I live in West Texas, and being a Texas woman,  I may as well ease the pain of this 22 degree high by cooking a great, meal for my family. 
 
This soup is a hearty, full soup.  Not low in calories but high in comfort for sure.  For it to be gluten free you have to make your own broth or buy broth stating it is GF, and you MUST use
Gluten Free All Purpose Flour. 
 
Here are the ingredients you need:
  • 2 chicken breasts, boiled and cubed
  • 6-8 slices of bacon cooked and crumbled 
  • 5 cups of water to boil your chicken in, thereby making your own broth
  • 2 Knorr Chicken bouillon cubes (or your gluten free choice)
  • 1 cup of uncooked wild rice
  • 1/2 cup green onions chopped (not too much of the green)
  • 1/2 cup celery chopped
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup gluten free all purpose flour
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
  • 2 cups half and half
  • 3 Tablespoons of pimiento
  • 1/4 cup of dry sherry
 
Place your chicken breasts on a low boil in 5 cups of water, season water heartily with salt and pepper.  Place your bacon in the oven on broil while chicken is low boiling.  I trim a lot of the fat off of the bacon because I don't like it in my soup, but you can do whatever your family prefers.  Once chicken is cooked, strain your water to clean it up, and add your bouillon cubes, rice, celery and onion.  Remove bacon from the oven and crumble.
Set meats aside for now.
 
 
 
 
In a medium saucepan, melt butter, stir in flour, salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. Heat to medium low, stirring constantly, until smooth and a little bubbly. Gradually stir in half and half with the butter/flour mixture and cook until slightly thickened, stirring constantly.
 
Add this creamy mixture into the pot with the rice/broth. Add remaining ingredients (chicken, bacon, pimiento, and sherry). Heat on low, NOT boiling and NOT covered.  The 1/2 and 1/2 will scorch on the bottom quickly if you heat too fast. The soup may look thin, but the longer you heat the soup, the more it will thicken.
 (If it is thicker than you prefer in the beginning add water to thin it) 
My boys like it thick enough to eat with a fork (that's not soup boys-that's a casserole)

This soup is so great on a cold day.  I baked a home made loaf of gluten free bread and toasted it for complementing the soup. It was so good, my son had me call him out of school at lunch the next day to finish it off!  This recipe will make about 6-8 bowls.
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment