Search This Blog

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Stuffed Zucchini (Yes Zucchini)

I know, here goes Lisa with more zucchini recipes!  At least I'm not standing at your door with a paper sack full of them, begging you once again to take it off my hands. Stuffed zucchini (or squash) can stand alone with a nice salad and bread.  (gluten free bread I hope) This recipe is great for those days you don't want to pick the garden and you leave the normal sized zucchini out there too long and they become Biblical in size.

 Here is what you will need: 
2 LARGE zucchini, 1 lb hamburger meat, 2 cloves garlic, salt and pepper to taste, 3 Tablespoons sandwich spread, 1/2 cups red and green bell pepper, 3 green onions, 1 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, preheat oven to 350

Cut out the inside of your zucchini or squash, not much, just the seeded areas.  Discard or save it.  (I throw it out because I have an abundance of it)

Brown and drain your meat, add your remaining vegetables and salt and pepper to taste

Some stuffed zucchini recipes call for pesto but this is easier to find and just as good. Add 3 Tablespoons to mixture and if you desire more just know it will hurt my feelings that you strayed from my instructions.

Place foil in the bottom of a pan and put your hulled out veggies on top.  Now fill your zucchini, or squash, with the cooked mixture and top with cheese. Add 1/2 cup of water in the bottom of the pan and cover with foil.  Place in a preheated oven for 20-30 minutes.  The water will help steam the vegetables and keep the cheese from browning. 


No comments:

Post a Comment