Search This Blog

Friday, December 13, 2013

Gluten Free Southern Cornbread Dressing

I have always loved my grandmother's Southern Cornbread Dressing.  And like most children I hated onions or celery in everything; but on holidays they somehow became invisible when brought out in her roasting pan and served with her golden turkey.  My mom gave me the recipe, and years later I discovered I had Celiac Disease.  But, thank the good Lord above, you can buy G-Free cornbread mix.  Therefore, I adapted Nana's recipe to suit my medical needs.  Despite the fact it may be a little sweeter tasting, I would say I basically NAILED it and Nana would be proud!  And to you Yankees, this is not a stuffing, because it is not STUFFED into anything.  It is baked alone and served BESIDE your turkey.  I don't hold stuffing against you, it's just that I have never shot a turkey stuffed with bread so I'm not going to put it in there---- at any time! 

Here is what you will need:
2 packages of Pamela's Cornbread and Muffin Mix, 1 stick of butter, 1 large bunch of celery chopped, 2 t poultry seasoning, 2 eggs beaten, 2 t salt and 2 t pepper, 4-5 pieces of gluten free bread pinched up, (I usually have some on hand)1 large chopped white onion, 1 T rubbed sage, 2 quarts of chicken broth gluten free ( I save mine from boiling chicken and keep it in the fridge), 4 boiled eggs

Now, don't JUST buy the ingredients above, you need to see what it requires to bake your cornbread and your gluten free bread if you don't have any on hand...

Follow the directions on the cornbread mix BUT ADD 1/2 THE SUGAR it calls for, bake, set aside to cool and then crumble.  While your cornbread is cooking boil your eggs
You can do all of this in your roasting pan from beginning to end! When your cornbread is crumbled you want to add your gluten free bread pinched up.  It is always good to have a few different breads in your dressing.  But if you don't, it probably won't matter.  I've just never had it any other way.
Beat your eggs and pour right on top of your cornbread, this helps hold the dressing together after it is cooked.
 
Add your seasonings to the top, and mix.

Add 1 quart of your broth to the dressing and mix thoroughly.
Melt your butter then add your onions and celery to a medium heat and cook until your onions are transparent.  While they cook peel your eggs, cut and allow cool. When your onions and celery are done add to your cornbread.  Butter and all!
Top with your chopped eggs, salt and pepper them (again if desired) and mix well!  So, now you have it all together.  Your cornbread, bread, seasoning, onions, celery, beaten eggs, boiled eggs and broth....Look at you go!  Add 1/2 quart of your broth to the dressing then cover and refrigerate.
You should have 1/2 quart of broth left over. When you take it out of the fridge prior to cooking, if it seems it needs more add it.  (I usually do)  And if it seems too moist you will just have to cook it longer. While cooking, if it seems to dry just add more.  You have 1/2 quart to make it to your liking.    You want to cook at 350 degrees for 1 hour or maybe a little longer.  Cover for the first 30 minutes only.  You want it to be somewhat crusty and golden brown. This is also great for the next day, but you may have to add a little broth to reheat.
Tell that turkey to scoot over and enjoy! 

   


No comments:

Post a Comment